While the employees in your business contribute to its success, you will likely run into a legal issue at some point in your business life. Unfortunately, some relationships disintegrate in the workplace, making it necessary to turn to a legal advisor.
Preventing Disputes in the Workplace
If you want to take preventative steps and maintain a good working environment, it is important that you align your business with a solicitor who specialises in employment law. An employment law solicitor can provide daily support to executives and human resource departments. Therefore, using this type of service can reduce the possibility of disputes.
For example, a business solicitor in London that covers employment matters can assist your business by doing the following:
- Draft policies and guidelines for your company.
- Advise you on how to handle disciplinary issues or grievances internally.
- Consult with you about data protection matters.
- Handle corporate grievances.
- Produce fact sheets on current and important legal issues.
- Draft agreements in the form of employment contracts, settlement agreements, or consultancy secondments.
- Provide assistance with work permit applications for business immigration.
While the above list represents non-contentious legal assistance, a business can also use the services of a solicitor to advise it and represent it on contentious matters. The areas in which a solicitor can help include the following:
- Discrimination and equal pay
- Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment, or TUPE) regulations and outsourcing
- Employee benefits
- Wage deductions
- Contracts for part-time and fixed-term employees
- Working time regulations
- Holiday pay
If you work with a firm that specialises in employment law, you can enjoy an advantage by referring a grievance to a mediator. An accredited mediator can offer an objective approach to an employment issue. This can be especially useful if the grievance or complaint is coming from an employee that is still working in your company. If you want to maintain a working relationship, mediation can prove to be invaluable.
Additionally, mediation can save a company a great deal in legal expenses because representation can extend to both parties in a matter.
Besides the aforementioned benefits, you can also ensure a more harmonious workplace by working with an employment law solicitor that handles matters such as equal pay, business protection, workforce management, and discrimination claims. For instance, if you work with a firm that has advised both employers and employees, you have a greater chance of settling disputes along these lines.
Most areas of employment law are complex. That is why you cannot afford to downplay this area of business as a company. Make sure you maintain a progressive and harmonious workplace. Review the legal services of business solicitors online.